Thursday, April 24, 2014

Benefits of Raw Organic Honey

So if you know me, you know I have C-R-A-Z-Y allergies at all times during the year, but especially at the change of seasons. I am allergic to everything from dogs to ragweed and everything in between. I have been on the same allergy medicine for TEN YEARS...When I started taking Allegra you had to have a prescription..and then it was a hell of a lot cheaper. In the last year or so I have heard the buzz about how organic honey that is locally made can help decrease your allergy symptoms and living in St. Louis (hello the capital of allergies) I have decided to see what this buzz is all about. What better time than now as I have been told due to our insane weather, allergies will be worse than ever this year because everything is blooming at the same time. How lovely. The only way that honey is effective for allergies is if it is locally harvested because it must have been exposed to local pollen, makes sense. I found some at my local health food store and it was super inexpensive.


During my search to find answers about this correlation between local honey and putting the kibosh on allergies this year, I decided to see what other benefits this little gem has since I will be taking a teaspoon once a day, here is what I found:

  • Anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties
  • Can treat colds and sore throats
  • Help heal skin burns and rashes
  • Can CLEAR clogged sinuses by mixing a teaspoon of it in hot water, putting a towel over your head, and breathing in the steam
  • Strengthens the immune system since it is such a great antioxidant
  • Can stabilize blood pressure and blood sugar levels 
  • Can relieve pain
  • Can calm nerves (and who doesn't need a little bit of that every now and then)
  • ALWAYS consult a doctor if you have questions first, there can be dangers or even reactions to certain foods you are not familiar with!
So, if you suffer from allergies like I do, I highly suggest researching some more and consulting with your doctor about this little remedy. I had my first try today and plan to keep at it for a month straight, no allergy pill, and see what the results are! Looks like I have some extra benefits to look forward to as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment