Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Skinny on Froyo



Well as spring/summer approach many seasonal franchises begin to open their doors to their customers and soon we all fall victim to that evening "froyo"run because "it's good for us!". Well I am here to tell you a little about this tasty treat. If you don't know what froyo is, it's all the rage in healthy desert fads..most Froyo treats include:

-Probiotics to help regulate your digestive system
-Some froyo is dairy and gluten free
- Low fat/non fat, low in calories
-Calcium content

Well, while this is all fine and good we do know a few things..

-Low fat/Non fat items are typically replaced with SUGAR and other additives that are chemically processed and not good for us in the long run
-Dairy free and gluten free are good for those people who have sensitivities to it, while it is increasingly difficult for most people to properly digest dairy..there is no need to claim this trendy eating habit unless ones medical doctor recommends so.

And now we go into the toppings: cookie dough, brownie batter, m&ms, snickers, reeses peanut butter cup, gummy bears, etc....isn't this the stuff we are preaching to stay away from? Don't get me wrong, if you see my at Froyo, you WILL see the cookie dough on my decadent desert but I don't think we can call it healthy when we flavor this treat up with all of these high sugar, high fat, and high fructose corn syrup toppings..am I right?

While I am a big fan of everything in moderation, I do love Froyo and plan to eat it ON OCCASION. Like anything else, you have to watch your portion sizes and what you are putting on your frozen yogurt.

Would I deem this a healthy treat? Not exactly..is it better than some of our options? Absolutely, but that is up to you and what you add to the dessert.

P.S. Stick with the fruit:)

P.S.S. I am not a nutritionist. This is my opinion I have gathered from my observations and different information I have read. If you are looking for cold, hard statistical facts, you may want to check with a nutritionist or MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment