Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why Water Is Important and Helps Us Lose Weight

I can honestly tell you, my weight fluctuates from day to day and I am sure yours does as well. I will also tell you I see a HUGE change in my weight when I drink the amount of water my body needs. That seems vague..what does my body need? Here's a guideline that you are not drinking enough water during the day:

1. Dry mouth
2. Chapped lips
3. Feeling thirsty (if you're feeling thirsty, chances are you are already dehydrated!)
4. Dry skin
5. Feeling sluggish
6. Colored urine (yellowish, if you're drinking enough it should be pretty close to clear!)
7. Decreased urination

And these are to just name a few!

So now you're wondering, how much am I supposed to drink? Well there are a lot of different theories, but I have considered it my own rule of thumb to drink at least half my body weight in ounces, daily. This seems to keep me pretty hydrated so it could be something for you to use as well!

Example: 140 lbs/2=70 oz of water daily

I try to drink 20 oz more than the amount in the formula just to compensate for any sweating or loss of water that may have occurred throughout the day.

Drinking water is so critical to weight loss and your overall health and there are now tons of different ways to monitor how much you consume daily! Here are a few tips!

1. Buy a refillable water bottle and know how many ounces it is (typical is 20 oz) and keep track of how many times you refill it by starting with the amount of rubber bands and taking one off every time you finish the bottle
2. I have seen some people write and draw measurements on their water bottles...for example by 10 am you have to have drank to a certain line and by 12 pm you have to be finished with your first bottle. 


Drinking water helps us with weight loss because:
1. Suppresses our appetite
2. Helps lower cholesterol
3. Necessary for proper digestion
4. The right amount helps us stop retaining water
5. Stops you from confusing hunger and thirst
Plus many, many more!
I am by no means a doctor or a nutritionist, you may have fluid restrictions or reasons you can't drink as much or need to drink more! These are just some helpful guidelines I find easy to follow and useful during my daily quest to stay hydrated!



No comments:

Post a Comment