Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Biggest Loser Scare

Apparently all the rage today is not over the snow like I would assume, it's over the girl who won The Biggest Loser. Now let me preface this by saying I do not watch the show, it's not my thing. But I have done some research on what's going on and it really is SO sad what has happened.

I am SUCH a big believer in clean eating, portion control, and fitness. I think they are all essential in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. With that being said, it is easy to become consumed and obsessed with what you are doing. Making a lifestyle change such as the people on the show do can be HUGE and when you see results, you want more...similar to when someone receives attention or fame, they become HUNGRY for more.

Well, no pun intended but it appears that this little lady was not hungry. Or that is what everyone is saying. People are suspecting an eating disorder. Let me remind you that an eating disorder is SERIOUS and is a mental health issue. While it's important to watch what you eat and how much you eat, YOU still should be eating at least 1200 calories a day. This is a huge reason why I do not watch the show, I feel like it promotes accelerated, unhealthy weight loss to it's viewers. While viewers at home don't realize this..or maybe they do, like I said I've never seen the show, the weight loss is over 18 weeks and then an additional 4 at home. So at a healthy loss of 2 lbs per week, at 22 weeks gives you about 44 lbs. Now this is all hypothetical because some people who are over weight tend to lose a lot more weight in the beginning. I just want to drive home how important it is that even though I encourage you to do portion control, eat clean, and workout...I also encourage you to not beat yourself up over a bad day. One meal does not make you obese.

Your body NEEDS nutrients and calories to live. You need carbs for energy. You need all of this to look healthy. Without nutrients, vitamins, and essential food groups not only will you become too skinny, but your hair will become frail, your nails will break, your skin will look terrible. Think I am joking? Google it. If you feel that you need serious help due to an eating disorder, call a loved one or a medical professional and seek help! I am by no means a medical professional, I just am here to motivate, encourage, and give you tools to succeed in your weight loss.

I hope that we can all learn from this that CHANGE is not meant to happen over night. You will not lose those 30 lbs in a month. Do it the right way, the healthy way. If you need help, I would love to help you achieve your goals. Remember, there are no quick fixes or easy ways out for goals we want to achieve. We have to work hard and be motivated. I hope this drives some points home and I didn't step on any toes. This is merely an opinion, like I said I am not a medical professional and I do not watch the show. Thanks for reading:)

No comments:

Post a Comment